A young black male who writes screenplays with nothing better to do with his time than to not make money, desperately contemplates to come up with the ultimate blog.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Desperate Thinking: Archived

10 Nov 2007

Spoken Word poetry... written out?
Current mood: lonely
Category: I haven’t felt like this in months Writing and Poetry

Those who know me know that I am not usually a fan of what they call "Spoken Word style" poetry. My opinion for this particular culture cannot be put into gentle words at times, and I usually find myself in moods of hysteria or feel obligated to pull away from it whenever it is mentioned. But over the course of the week I've come around a conflict that involves either me following what my former mentor taught me, or to pull into the trap that so many people slip into: The claim that people don't like what they don't understand.

I don't like to keep secrets of myself. I think its disgusting nowadays. If I'm going to speak, I want to be understood. That way I can dig deeper to be misunderstood all over again. So it would be degrading of me to seek the respect of another while keeping a secret all at the same time, FUCK THAT. Get it over with… if you become a better man for it, mission accomplished. If not, carry on. So without further a due, here is my shot at spoken word poetry.

"I need a lift" by Expirasin

Excuse me, sorry to interrupt

I didn't mean to intrude on whatever you're doing its just

You see, I need a ride, it won't take long I promise

I don't have much to pay you back except a few things

I got a few dollars from work left around, sorry its crumpled up

What? I can keep it? Thank you so much

You see I need to get to Satisfaction

It's a nice little place that shouldn't be too far from here

I've been trying to get there myself by walking

But as you can see by the sweat I'm really tired

Tired of searching, tired of going in circles

Tired of the pain…

Tired of going down the road with high hopes

Only to see one thing

Trees, and people passing you by in their nice cars with others

Tagged along

All I want to do is have some accomplishment

And to say that I got there without the help of anyone else

But I always find myself in these situations

In these boring situations without anyone else

And I'm getting nowhere

I'm beginning to feel there's no place to go at all

That every direction just leads back home

And no one makes it to satisfaction

I was just thinking of going back home myself

Until I saw your car

I noticed you don't have anyone riding shotgun

May I? May I step inside your car for a ride?

Maybe we can both reach satisfaction

Together

What's that?

Oh, this isn't your car?

May I ask who does it belong to?

Your boyfriend? Oh…

You're just out to pick up your kid from day care, huh?

Wow, that would explain the car seat

Yeah, thanks anyway I understand

Thanks for stopping anyway

Bye

Shit...

See? That wasn't hard. Spoken word isn't so bad I guess. Now maybe I can shut the fuck up and have some respect for it. Thank you for understanding.

No comments: